Recent reports suggest that 86% of smartphone users have scanned a QR code. Therefore, most of the population should be aware of what this entails. However, when asked the difference between static and dynamic QR codes, many don’t know the difference.
Static and Dynamic QR Codes: What Are They?
Static QR Code
The word “static” means this type of QR code has fixed information encoded into the code itself. Data cannot be changed with this QR code, and whatever is originally attached will remain there forever. Therefore, the information encoded is contained within the pattern alignments found on these codes and not somewhere on a systems back-end.
Dynamic QR Code
A dynamic QR code has a short redirection URL encoded onto the generated vertical and horizontal dimensions (aka squares). Unlike static QR codes that have the data embedded inside the code, a dynamic QR has only a URL. It makes the QR code adaptable, recyclable, and trackable because various pieces of user data can be established.
Dynamic QR codes have various uses and implementations across many industries. To understand their primary purposes, see below:
- Metric reports – Firstly, dynamic QR codes provide businesses the opportunity to measure, report, and utilize consumer interactions with their code. Metrics you could obtain can vary, but usually, it consists of device type, page views, location, operating system, and more.
- Customizable – With dynamic QR codes, it’s possible to change the redirection of the destination URL anytime, anywhere, anyplace, or after a certain amount of scans, improving optimization and functionality further.
- Expiration dates – Static codes don’t have an expiratory date, which could be problematic with marketing campaigns, sales, or seasonal events. A dynamic QR code can have expiration dates and redirections for old codes, ensuring users aren’t sent to an unregistered URL.
Static QR codes naturally evolved into the Dynamic type. With our digitalized world continuously improving, it was only a matter of time before QR codes like this became available.
Static and Dynamic QR Codes: Which Is The Best?
After reading the above, you should have a rough idea of what dynamic QR codes provide. They’re currently widely used across all industries, and they’ll continue like this way into the future. But there’s a continuous battle between static and dynamic QR codes. So, what is the best option?
|It cannot be edited after it’s been created||It can be edited and recycled unlimited times|
|Scan performance cannot be tracked, limiting scalability||Various metrics can be tracked, such as device type, page views, location, operating system, and more|
|They’re unable to be used for online retargeting purposes||Data obtained from the QR code can be used for retargeting campaigns on platforms like Google and Facebook, etc.|
|Have a long, chunky URL that increases the overall file size of the QR code||The codes are short and clean, making them faster than static QR codesIt can be used on multiple campaigns based on a set schedule|
|It can’t be used over a series of campaigns||It can be used on multiple campaigns based on a set schedule|
Why Are Dynamic QR codes Essential?
The face-off between static and dynamic QR codes has a clear winner. To develop a further understanding into why; see the below reasons:
- Adaptability – Using a dynamic QR code allows businesses to adapt content without re-creating a completely new code. Unlike static types, it can be altered to improve user experience without re-generating and marketing a QR code.
- Recyclable – Because of its adaptability, dynamic QR codes can continuously get recycled into different re-directs. For example, let’s say you previously created a dynamic QR code to provide contact details; it can be changed to an Instagram page further into the future.
- Trackable – Any channels that could potentially pull in profits or engagement must be measured to optimize and grow. A dynamic QR code can offer this advantage by tracking various essential metrics.
Dynamic QR codes are the future of this already booming industry. Here at QR-Codes.com we offer a complete comprehensive package that’ll enable you to create, analyze, and manage QR codes to their fullest potential. For more information about our management system, click here to learn more.